County Assembly Service Board (CASB)
The County Assembly Service Board of Tana River is established under section 12 of the County Governments Act 2012. The Board is chaired by Hon. Justin Nkaduda, the Speaker. Hon. Mahmud Gabo as the vice chair, representing the National Super Alliance Coalition and Hon. Mohamed Buya, Jubilee Party. Other Members of the CASB are Hon. Ali Wayu and Hon. Kuresha Mohamed. The Clerk, Mr. Abdullahi Dayib Hussein is the secretary.
The County Assembly Service Board of Tana River performs the following functions as provided for under section 12 (7) of the County Governments Act, 2012:
The CASB is responsible for:
- Providing services and facilities to ensure the efficient and effective functioning of the County Assembly
- Constituting offices in the County Assembly Service and appointing and supervising office holders
- Preparing annual estimates of expenditure of the County Assembly Service and submitting them to the County Assembly for approval, and exercising budgetary control over the service
- Undertaking, singly or jointly with other relevant organizations, programmes to promote the ideals of parliamentary democracy; and
- performing other functions necessary for the well-being of the members and staff of the county assembly or as prescribed by national legislation.
Office of the Speaker
Hon. Michael Nkaduda
Roles of the Speaker of the County Assembly
- Article 178(2)(a) of the Constitution of Kenya provides that the Speaker shall preside over all sittings of the Assembly.
- The Assembly Standing Orders provide that the Speaker shall be responsible for maintaining order in the House
- The Speaker shall be the Chairperson of the House Rules and Business Committee which is responsible for coming up with the Assembly calendar and the Business of the day.
- The Speaker shall be the Chairperson of the committee on Appointments that is responsible for vetting and reporting on all appointments that the Constitution requires the County Assembly to approve
- The Speaker shall also be the chairperson of the County Assembly Service Board in accordance with the Sec 12(3)(a) of the County Government Act 2012
Office of the Deputy Speaker
Roles of the Deputy Speaker
In the absence of the Speaker or whenever the requested, the deputy Speaker takes the Chair and has the same powers and functions as the Speaker.
The deputy Speaker is also the Chairperson of the Committee of the Whole House.
Office of the Clerk
Roles of the Clerk to the Assembly
- The Assembly Clerk shall be the secretary to the County Assembly Service Board.
- The Clerk is the accounting officer of the County Assembly
- The Clerk shall be responsible for administering the oath or affirmation of office to Members of the County Assembly whenever a new Assembly is elected.